Saturday, November 11, 2017

Rain~Snow~Ice~Heat: Just Go!

Fort Lauderdale Summer Sunrise by Sheen Watkins
I have never taken a good nature photo from my couch.

I have never photographed a unique, amazing sunrise or sunset from the kitchen table or when hitting the snooze button.

If it's cold and snowy - being huddled under the blankets won't give me anything to work on in post processing.  If it's hot and steamy, staying in the air conditioned house only brings an artificial chill.

The message is simple:  "go"

It's frigid and cold outside?  Wear layers and warm clothes.  Protect your camera.  Then go.

It's foggy, hazy, and humid?  Wear water resistant clothing, have cleaners and drying cloths for your gear.  Then go.

You're commitments ran over and you may miss your optimal light?  Just go anyway.

It's stormy, unpredictable and not what you planned?  Go with your plan or find another subject.

Autumn in the Lofoten Islands, Norway by Sheen Watkins

Our photography time is creative time.  If you're an outdoor, nature or wildlife photographer, many of our excursions are solo.  Photography moments are wonderful escapes into ourselves where we get the opportunity to translate what we see using our unique eye and perspective.

The more I go, the better and more satisfied I am with my work.  I mentioned the  "Iced Teeth" image below in an earlier blog.  This was taken on an mid morning walk in frigid conditions on Lake Michigan.

Iced Teeth by Sheen Watkins
Wearing layers, sturdy, non-slip shoes and bringing a partner as the area was a bit treacherous.  The elements, the textures, the chill all led to a shoot I'll always remember.  Plus, I have the evidence to prove how crazy photographers can be. 

Within days, these formations melted and shifted.  Those shapes and textures are forever gone in nature.   However, they will be preserved in my images and memory for a very long time.

So let's embrace tomorrow and "go."

No comments:

Post a Comment