Sunday, February 9, 2014

Seriously, I'd Rather Be Behind the Lens

A sun starburst edges from behind a tree as the magic hour approaches.  A fluffy hooded merganser glides through a gold illuminated  pond at sunset.  We pause when the bright, rapid beat of a red-bellied woodpecker's tapping echoes through the forest.  And sometimes…it is the sound of silence as you gaze into the gentle brown eyes of a deer in the woods.
Swimming in Gold
Nikon 7100, Sigma 150-500
It's moments like these that beckon nature photographers to rise well before dawn, embrace cold, snowy conditions, all for that desired shot.  Then it's the thrill of editing and bringing the images in the camera back to life as we sip our steaming green tea.
Red Hat
Nikon 7100, Sigma 150 - 500mm
The last place we want to be?  Reconciling invoices, expenses and legal paperwork! To help expedite getting your business back-office established, here's a few key steps.

Deer eyes….
Nikon 5100, 55-300mm lens
First, I recently established my Limited Liability Corporation: Sheen's Nature Photography LLC. Since I'm not an attorney, an accountant or effective book keeper, I needed to apply the KISS method - keep it super simple!

Legal Zoom uses the KISS approach and completes the tedious legwork for you.  It took about 45 minutes online and a well-deserved payment.

They took care of everything. When I made a slight mistake, they called for clarification. As a result, I had a credit applied to the total.  They gave me email and voicemail updates every step of the way.

All that I needed was delivered to my door, earlier than planned.  There was no way I could get time savings, accuracy and legitimacy by doing this on my own.

Next, a business checking account.  Note:  financial institutions require you to have an EIN and your articles which Legal Zoom provided.   Huntington Bank was my choice as their service has always been professional with insight to assist in quick decision making.

And last, we can't forget a small business credit card to keep our business expenses organized.  The American Express Small Business Credit Card is a great way to go. Since I am a frequent traveler with Delta, the ability to earn miles is an extra perk. Those miles will fly me to photography adventures.

It's February and a 2014 resolution has been accomplished, with eleven months to spare doing what I love with my free time.

HAPPY SHOOTING!




No comments:

Post a Comment