Sunday, February 4, 2018

"Photographer" Does that Title Define You or Me?

It's normal to describe ourselves using titles.   Maybe, potentially, we use titles because, describing what we do is easier than sharing who we are.

You may be a wife, a mother,  a husband, a father, a manager, a teacher, an executive, a clerk, an artist or a doctor.  Pick one, or add one to the list.

For years, I've been in corporate America and enjoy it immensely today.  I work for an organization with a legacy reputation built on ethics, quality and integrity. Their values reflect mine, and I hope that mine in turn reflects theirs.  But while working for that company is a big part of me, my title doesn't completely define or describe who I am.

Lake Michigan Sunset by Sheen Watkins
Our passions,  how we look at life, how we handle the good, the great, the fun, the hard, the sad and the horrific show who we are.

With each experience, our 'who we really are' continues to evolve.

Photography was just something I had always wanted to try.  I had no idea that once a camera was in my hands that my eyes and dreams would change so dramatically.

Photography has been an epiphany, a passion and a way of connecting and sharing nature with the world, or realistically, those who are interested.

Initially photography was taking images of nature, with birds being front and center.  Each day that I have a camera in my hands, I feel a deeper connection with who I am and what I believe:

Time and experiences in nature and travel are not a given but a gift.  I am grateful for the privilege to combine nature gift's with the art of photography.


A favorite subject, the Snowy Owl by Sheen Watkins

I believe that nature's gifts should be cherished, shared and protected for future generations.  To grow as an artist and photographer,  is a continuous and joyous journey.  My photography time consists of being in the field is both exploring nature followed by post processing to share my personal eye with others. 

It isn't a one-shot moment and then moving on to the next subject. 

Each image that makes it to the light of day is a result of many photographs of the same subject taken from different angles using different settings.  Trial and error is a constant.  Then it's finding the 'one' image to process and bring to life on a computer screen or print.

Abstract of Forest or the Trees by Sheen Watkins
The other side of photography is not as easy or fun.  There's an element of guilt and self-centeredness. 

Photography is costly.

True, the gear expensive.   It's the investment of time in the field, time in thought, time in learning that can take it's toll on family and those close who don't share the same interest.

Time in the field is time away from family.  Many photographers have more than one job to support their livelihoods. 

Time immersed in learning is time distracted from those that are close and want to be with you.

Fall Monarch with Artistic Edits by Sheen Watkins
Finding the balance between the love of being in the field, the solo time of creating versus spending time with those that are your heart and soul is hard.

Our passions require sacrifices of ourselves and patience from those we hold most dear.

Every day, photographers share and display images and imagery that entices the eye and some may even stir the soul of a viewer. 

There is a ton of hard and diligent work.  The carrying of heavy equipment.  The unpredictability of the subject.  Dealing with nature's elements.  Studying post processing tools and techniques.

Behind each image is an artist, sharing their eye, their connection with that brief second of time. 

So if someone says that 'she's a nature photographer,'  I'm very comfortable being defined by that title.

Happy Shooting!






.



No comments:

Post a Comment