Thursday, March 21, 2019

Life Changes are Just a Click Away - Always Aim for Your Best Shot!

Golden Moment by Sheen Watkins
When I first picked up the camera, I had no idea that some day it would become part of my DNA.

It wasn't long after the journey began that I anxiously looked forward to the golden day when I could pursue this either "almost" full time or in a much larger capacity.

A little over a month ago, that moment arrived. 

We sold our house in four days with the initial intent of working remotely a lot more.

A couple of days later, I exited the glass doors the last time of where I spent 20+ wonderful years working with many, many amazing folks.

By the time I walked from those glass doors to my car, I was bursting with an optimism that I couldn't put into words.


In retrospect, what I felt on that walk was gratitude.  Thankful for the experiences, the life and people lessons, the friendships and knowing that I had given my best.  I was also grateful that I knew exactly what I wanted to do going forward -  photography!

Eye on the Future by  Sheen Watkins
My first words came when I got in my car and called my hubby.  What came out was simply, "Dave, we're moving to our 'up north', now!"  His response?  "Let's go!"

Within a 30 day window we closed on our house, sold a lot of unneeded 'stuff', packed and moved up north to the place we refer to as a little slice of heaven.

Now my that my photography future is here where will I take it?

In my prior corporate life, I loved coaching, teaching, learning, working and growing professionally.  It was a rush to be all-in  the moment,  to watch others succeed.  With photography, the same principles apply.  Yet with photography - it's about growing in our artistry, shooting what gives us joy and sharing our personal eye with others. 

Facing the Sunrise by Sheen Watkins
I've had Etsy and gallery websites along with using social media sharing (recently Instagram and Facebook) and blogging for a while.  I've written many photography articles for Light Stalking and Loaded Landscapes. Every now and then,  I'd lead small and large workshops locally.

It's so rewarding so see others learn and  experience their creativity.  I also jumped in on workshops led by others and will continue to do so.  I never want to stop learning and growing in this amazing craft called photography.

Now it's time.  Time to get after it.  More time with Dave, our doggies, family and friends.  More hours behind the lens, more hours learning, spending time with other photographers.   And soon....more opportunities to expand the workshop portfolio to experience photography adventures with and for others.

Happy shooting!


12 comments:

  1. It's your time to see this beautiful world through your lens ~ you were an amazing mentor to me and helped me grow personally and professionally and for that I will be grateful forever! Enjoy your lil slice of heaven!! You deserve it!!
    ~Nikki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikki - thank you so much for your comments, support and sharing your positive spirit. Keep savoring life's journey!

      Delete
  2. Way to go Sheen...
    You are the epitome of true success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I am super happy for you. I cannot wait to see what you do next. You have always been an inspiration to me. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my - thank you Connie. You inspire me too - love you right back!!

      Delete
  4. Sometimes unexpected events in our life end up being a blessing! Anything that includes your passion will be successful! Best of luck to you Sheen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy - so great to hear from you and thanks for your kind comments! Stay in touch :)

      Delete
  5. What an incredibly positive way to handle such a life changing event. Best of luck Sheen, you will obviously do great as your pictures are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie - thank you for your positive feedback - much appreciated and great to hear from you too :)

      Delete